Sewing Tech (Borders)
While working individually and as part of a well-knit team, this position will operate an industrial sewing machine to perform sewing task as assigned. The primary responsibility will be to sew borders.
Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform essential functions.
- Use single-needle industrial sewing machine to tend material for upholstered furniture.
- Reads order tickets and sewing notes.
- Recognizes the segment of the materials that is to be sewn.
- Operates and monitors sewing machine to detect problems, such as defective stitching, breaks in thread, or machine malfunction.
- Guides parts under needle, using fingers and hands, and following edges, seams, guides on machines manual or automated.
- Places spools of thread on spindle and draws thread through machine guides, tensions and eye of needle.
- Carefully match, measuring, and considerable dexterity to maintain quality, exact dimensions, and alignment.
- Adjusts the sewing machine controls to regulate stitching speed and length, dimensions of gathers and tucks, and material or thread tension.
- Pulls borders to ensure smoothness providing a quality product to cushion sew
- Puts various components together and sews to make a part(s) for a finished product.
- Other duties as assigned.
- Candidates should have a minimum 3 years’ experience as an upholstery sewer in a production environment.
- Must be self-directed and be able to work on their own.
- Ability to understand and work from written instructions and design specifications.
- Must be able to effectively communicate across all levels of the organization.
- The ability to work harmoniously with a team to complete work tasks in a timely manner.
As part of the Design Foundry team, all associates should have a willing attitude to assist in other areas as needed.
While performing the duties of this job, the associate is exposed to moving mechanical parts. The noise level in the work environment is usually moderate. The facility is temperature controlled, organized and clean.
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an associate to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. To perform this role successfully requires the ability to sit or stand consistently for an 8-hour shift. To tend to the sewing machine, the sewing tech will need the use of arms, hands, fingers and have the ability to twist at the waist frequently turning and reaching. If needed, ability to stand and pull the border by walking backwards to holding and pulling the border tight. The associate must frequently lift and/or move up to 10 pounds and occasionally lift and/or move up to 25 pounds of unfinished/finished fabric and materials. Minimal walking required when moving carts to obtain fabric to be sewn. Bend slightly from the waist to move material through sewing machine. Constantly push/pull fabric through sewing machine and off machine into buggies or onto conveyor using arms and hands; from a seated position. Ability to manipulate ankle and foot to maneuver foot lever. Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision, distance vision, color vision, peripheral vision, depth perception and ability to adjust focus to ensure the correct product is being produced for our customers.
Design Foundry Sewing Tech (Borders)
DESIGN FOUNDRY IS AN EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER. DESIGN FOUNDRY DOES NOT DISCRIMINATE IN THE EMPLOYMENT ON ACCOUNT OF RACE, COLOR, RELIGION, NATIONAL ORIGIN, CITIZENSHIP STATUS, ANCESTRY, AGE, SEX (INCLUDING SEXUAL HARRASMENT), SEXUAL ORIENTATION, MARITAL STATUS, PHYSICAL OR MENTAL DISABILITY, MILITARY STATUS OR UNFAVORABLE DISCHARGE FROM MILITARY SERVICE.